Cheers to Shopping


Last night, I was feeling both angry and depressed that it took two chick flicks to calm me down. I saw Confessions of a Shopaholic for the 4th time and once more, Rebecca Bloomwood reminded me of my former “shopaholic” self. Yup, the one with the Veronica Lodge syndrome. I’d like to think that I finally kicked the compulsive shopping habit…

Fine! So what if I bought two sets of bikinis and two summer dresses in one go? I need them for May’s island getaway. Whenever I feel depressed or upbeat, I talk to friends now rather than burn cash. But yes, shopping is still therapeutic. And I still get tempted.

It just hit me recently that Rebecca and I have so much in common: She’s the Girl in the Green Scarf while I’m the Girl in Suede Boots, We’re both journalists and we write about things in a such a way that most people can understand. We both give off this aura of innocence and we’re both in love with a ruggedly handsome man who looks great in formal wear. Win!

Of course, I’ve always wanted a credit card but the universe won’t let me and I don’t want to end up with twelve. A part of me is bitter because two big banks denied my application twice. But the bigger chunk of me knows that this is a blessing in disguise because God knows I’d go bankrupt once I start paying with plastic. I’d rather pay with cash.



I feel for the character. The world really becomes a better place when you shop. I get high whenever I visit a store and find items that I like, particularly boots. You try them on and get even higher when they fit you perfectly. You walk to the cashier and pay with cash and the moment the lady hands you that loot bag, you just know for a fact that you’ve gone to heaven and back. And just like what Rebecca said, you need to do it over and over again.




I don’t know if I’ve done a review on this movie already, but to cut the chase, it’s your common and predictable chick flick. I wouldn’t dare compare this to The Devil Wears Prada because that’s a great chick flick, lots in insights you can get from that one. But with Confessions of a Shopaholic, there are no “Man, that’s a good scene!” thought bubbles. It’s all so…shallow.

But it can inspire you. Sure, it can. It can inspire you to dress up and look great going to work, go bonkers during sales, and perhaps trust your instincts when it comes to making career decisions. But other than those things…well, let’s just say it’s a good thing they have Isla Fisher as Rebecca.

Cheers to shopping!
Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes