Conversations with an Angel






Words by Katherine C. Eustaquio
Published in Action & Fitness Magazine March 2009 issue


Here is a feisty young woman of beautiful contradictions—remarkably frank when others are quiet; laid-back when others are poised; daring when others are boringly sweet. “Angelica” couldn’t have been a more appropriate name. Angelica Panganiban breezes through everything with an effortless grace and angelic charm that have captivated hordes of fans here and abroad.


The rather blinding spotlight has followed her transformation from a child star to a serious actress, rising above the rest to take on more challenging and mature roles that continuously define her as one of the most promising young actresses of today. And while most of us can see why she’s one of the Philippines’ sexiest women, only a handful of people are accessible to her personality off screen.
Angelica is a natural in front of the camera, yet it is interesting to note that underneath the calm and angelic façade is a witty and confident young woman bursting with so much energy even on the hot January afternoon of our photo shoot. She’s casual, swapping jokes with the crew, dancing to the music blaring inside the studio, and making silly poses and facial expressions during breaks that she made us feel at ease in her presence. Here is one multi-talented young actress without an ounce of showbiz air in her.

Seeing her in the flesh for the first time, I was struck by how fragile she looks up close. But when I got her talking, I began to make out the qualities that make this young woman surpass the storms of the crazy industry called show business. Her slightly combatant attitude is a refreshing change; her eagerness to answer another set of questions and share funny anecdotes with another writer adds to her overall charm.

There’s really more to Angelica Panganiban than what meets the eye. With her eagerness to break apart from the average and safe roles her contemporaries settle for, we are sure to be hearing a lot of great things about her in the future. For now, she tells us about her newfound love for culinary arts, her favorite summer getaway, impromptu out-of-town trips, and why she finds gym time boring and claustrophobic.

So, tell us about your latest project.

Right now, I’m doing Banana Split. It’s basically a spin-off of Goin’ Bananas, you know, that 90’s gag show? But this time, it’s us girls who will do the pranks to unsuspecting males out there. (Laughs)

Aside from your showbiz activities, what other things are you into these days?

Hopefully, I’ll get to start my diploma course in culinary arts at the Global City Innovative College. I attended a workshop there with my friends, more like an advanced tutorial actually, where they taught us some basic and advanced culinary skills for one whole week. We had so much fun!

A new passion, I see. Looks like you’ll be real busy. How do you plan to unwind this summer?

I’m a beach person, so I’ll definitely go to the beach this summer. I like a laid-back kind of life. I don’t like it when it gets too noisy or crowded. I make it a point to really relax my mind and body whenever I go to the beach.

Where are you off to this summer?

Anywhere! (Laughs) Actually, there was one time when I suddenly had this 3-day free schedule. So I called my friends and we drove to Calatagan without any reservations or any real plans at all. Another time, we just spent two days in Tagaytay. I like impromptu getaways so whenever I have a few days off, I really go out of town with my friends and sometimes with my family.

What beach activities do you usually do?
My friends and I used to play beach volleyball. I was a varsity player back in high school but that was a long time ago, so we usually play Frisbee these days. We swim most of the time.

Any extreme sports you fancy?

So far, I haven’t tried any! (Laughs) Once, I tried diving for one show. I wanted to try it again but it’s too time-consuming.

Care to share with us your favorite summer?
Hmm…best summer. Ah yes, three or four years ago, my friends and I stayed in Boracay for four days and three nights. That was like the longest vacation I had so far! (Laughs) To think, that was unplanned and we didn’t do a lot of beach activities. We just walked along the beach. Then we met another group of friends and we partied with them. We’re still friends with them, which is cool.

What about your favorite getaway with Derek? Care to share some details?

Last year, Derek and I flew to Bali. We spent the summer there. It was such a short vacation, really, but we enjoyed it so much. It was great because nobody recognized us during our stay abroad. We enjoyed eating at different restaurants; we rode the local transpo; we shopped and played Frisbee. Actually, we were supposed to go surfing but then we decided against it. Everything was so simple. We didn’t have to worry that someone might say something mean behind our backs. It was so peaceful.


You literally grew up in the industry. Looking back, you were quite chubby as a child. Then you surprised everyone when you suddenly slimmed down and developed all the right curves. How did you do it?
I was in high school then, and just like every teenager, I became really conscious of my figure. Of course, at that time, I had to be dressed up whenever I go out but then I realized I can’t find anything to wear because of my weight. I also had a hard time shopping for clothes because of my size. That started it all. I decided to lose weight. When I was in junior high, I decided not to eat rice. I slimmed down really fast!

But since I only ate a portion of what my body was used to, I noticed that I get hungry more often than usual. I also felt so weak I thought I was going to faint. But after a while, my body got used to it. I didn’t eat rice for almost eight years! So when I started to eat rice again, at first, it felt so weird, like I ate something my body could no longer recognize. But just the same, my body was able to adjust. Since I eat rice again these days, I decided to do away with beef and pork.  I eat more vegetables this time.

How do you keep fit? Do you go to the gym?

I don’t like going to the gym. It’s too boring for me. (Laughs)

Seriously? Why is that? Slow results?

No, it’s not that. It’s like when you go to the gym, you run and move in just one place. Nothing’s happening. You don’t achieve anything. I prefer physical activities where I feel that I’m really doing something like playing golf and Frisbee, and even dancing. When you play golf, you walk around, you get something out of the game, and little do you know you’re actually burning calories and losing weight. Unlike at the gym, you just stand there, run there, and move around there. That’s so boring.
I enrolled, yes, so I can still go to the gym whenever I have the time. I work on the treadmill for a while and that’s about the only thing I do whenever I go there.(Laughs)

Then I get bored so I’ll just leave. I can’t stay in the gym for a long time. I feel like choking every time.

Any other sports you’re into?

I’d like to try tennis. Everyone’s into badminton already, so I’ll take tennis. (Laughs)

It’s summer again. How do you prepare for the bikini season? Any diets you swear by?

I know my body well. I know I bloat easily, especially my tummy. So I make it a point to know what’s on my schedule. If I’ll have to slip into a bikini tomorrow, I won’t eat dinner tonight. Just some super light breakfast tomorrow, just enough to have something inside my stomach. Does that qualify as a crash diet? (Laughs)
I tried the South Beach Diet before but the problem with these diets is that you’ll be tempted to just cheat. You’re fighting against yourself. I tried it for nearly two months, but I eventually quit.

Okay, let’s talk about your life under the spotlight. What’s the best thing about it?

The lifestyle and the income you get. It’s a big thing for me because I get to help a lot of people, especially my family.

Do you still get affected by the gossips you hear?

That depends. There are rumors that I can shrug off easily. But there are those people who write things that didn’t really happen and sometimes they hit below the belt. Sometimes, it’s about my family. For me, my family is the number one thing they can’t touch because it’s way too personal already.

How do you handle rumors that involve your family?

Oh, I get angry. I don’t care if my image has to be like this or like that. If it’s just about me, go ahead and talk all you want, right? But if it’s about my family, who’s not a part of this industry, I get really angry. Leave my family out of this mess. They’re just here to support me.

How about your family? How do they handle the rumors about you?

Just the same. If it’s about me, they get too affected. If it’s about them, they ignore it. (Laughs)


It’s a really crazy industry you’re in. Do you have any plans of taking another career path in the near future?
That also depends on the industry. If it stays this nasty, maybe I’ll eventually choose to lead a quiet life. Besides, that’s not just for me but for my family as well. I’ve been in showbiz for almost 17 years. This is my first love, after all. I wouldn’t know how to handle things in case I choose to leave to become a chef if that’s what I want to do. Then again, I wouldn’t know until I try!


The author (second from right) with Angela Panganiban
and Action & Fitness friends during the photo shoot.
Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes