Quick Tips on Dealing with Difficult People

Words by Katherine Castillo Eustaquio
Published in Total Fitness Magazine April 2012 Issue




One of my very first tasks (or should I say ‘challenges’) during my first managerial job is to deal with these two artists with attitude problems.  They are fresh graduates, wide-eyed and talented, boisterous and carefree.  Despite the fact that they are five years my junior and I’m their supervisor, back then I was, technically, the “new girl.”

There are cases of back-to-back AWOLs even before I joined the company.  There were also cases of missed deadlines and outright refusal to follow design instructions.  When we lost one of our biggest clients because of this one artist, we finally decided that we had to let him go.

After the nonstop racket, I decided to write a general memo to address the noise problem in our office.  Two hours later, the other artist came thundering down my work area and asked to “have a word with me.” Calmly, I asked her to sit down and then she went berserk, asking “Oh my God…just when did you have the ‘power’ to write a memo and tell us what to do?!”

I wanted to say a lot of things but I decided to take the higher road and be technical about it.  I relayed her reaction to our boss who reprimanded her the following day, explaining that I have every right to do what I did because I’m her supervisor.  I was generous enough to dismiss the insubordination issue.  She couldn’t look at me in the eye ever since and that was all the apology I needed.

Work or play, we always come across difficult people that we can’t escape.  While it’s so tempting give them a good lecture, it’s more rewarding to take the higher road where the rewards are more fulfilling.  Here are some tips on how to deal with difficult people without losing you composure.

1. Think differently.
There are people who keep finding faults in your work.  For some, it’s their job.  For others, it’s their hobby.  Look at their comments as areas of improvements rather than attacks.

2. Rise above the rest.
If someone keeps pulling you down, it simply means you’re above them.  Never stoop down to the level of bullies.  After all, that’s what they are.

3. Use the rumormongers to your advantage.
If you’re in advertising, use these gossip girls to spread some of your really cool campaigns and watch it go viral. Otherwise, relish the thought that they are so obsessed with the fascinating life that you lead.

4. Challenge accepted, Barney Stinson style.
Try to see why certain people give you a difficult time.  Most of the time, they’re just insecure.  Break the ice with a coffee invitation and you might just win an ally.

5. Ignorance is bliss.
Learn suggestive listening.  You really don’t need to mull over every comment thrown at you.  Keep in mind that the most frustrating thing that can happen to a toxic critic is to ignore everything he throws at you.



Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes