Behind The Scenes With What The EF: The Nook Café

By Katherine C. Eustaquio-Derla

When that Harry Potter-themed cafe opened its little red door to the adoring Maginhawa crowd, it caused quite a stir. And it should. After all, how many little red doors in the tropical country can transport you to Hogsmeade?

The only question now is, "Are you a Gryffindor or a Slytherin?"

I’m a big fan of the book, even the movies. But I’m probably the biggest fan of The Nook Cafe because my sisters not only designed the cafe interiors, they also painstakingly hand painted the murals that adorn its walls.

Before The Nook Cafe officially opened, my last few weekends in Manila were spent checking in on how my sisters’ interior design gig was unfolding. What the EF, a small design firm operated by Thomasian architects Anne Eustaquio and Ding Flores, brought the cafe walls to life. Every detail was carefully planned, hand drawn and meticulously painted.

I remember setting dinners at restaurants in Maginhawa so my sisters could take a break and eat with us. We ate mostly at Empire Steak, owned by our good friend, Conrad Legaspi.

The Nook Cafe opened a few weeks before I officially relocated to Malaysia. The cafe, despite its limited floor area, was packed with so many friends who supported Nicole Guanio, a young entrepreneur who attended the same university. 

I’m proud to share some behind-the-scenes photos before The Nook Cafe was transformed into what it is now. There were nights when the only light accompanying my sisters was a tall desk lamp they borrowed from our printing press.

All the hard work paid off.

Lumos! Anne Eustaquio of What the EF.





They gave one of their socks to Dobby.

They started with a blank wall. And stared at it for hours.




How the owls got their wings.


Ding Flores of What the EF hand paints one of the tables.








Even before the cafe opened, friends visited the artists for moral support.






How the logo was made.






How the cafe interior was planned.



And of course, my book, Before I Do, debuted here. The Nook Cafe is probably the first cafe where my book was displayed but you won't find it there now, as the copies I left were given mostly to friends after the opening night.

You can buy a copy at National Bookstore, SM Megamall or order from me and get a handwritten note. Check it out here.


164-A Maginhawa St., Sikatuna Village, Quezon City, 1101
Metro Manila, Philippines
Phone: +63 915 974 3660

---

Architects Anne Eustaquio and Ding Flores are also the bakers behind Tyang's Kitchens irresistible egg tarts.







Check them out online!



Facebook: Tyang's Kitchen
Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes